To claim a deduction for work-related expenses:
- you must have spent the money and you weren’t reimbursed
- the expense must directly relate to earning your income
- you must have a record to prove it (usually a receipt).
You can only claim a deduction for the work-related portion of an expense. You can’t claim a deduction for any part of the expense that is not directly related to earning your income or that is private.
You can use the myDeductions tool in the ATO app to help keep track of your work-related expenses. It’s an easy way to capture information on the go and makes tax time quicker. You can upload expenses to your tax return. If you lodge your tax return with a tax agent:
- they can access your uploaded data through their practice management software, or
- you can email a copy to them from the app.
Use our detailed list to help you work out if you can claim a deduction for your expenses and how much you can claim: